Slow to blog...

So. It seems like I won't be getting caught up with the blogging from last week's haul anyway. Why? because I decided that I was going to get crafty and repaint my dining table. I have been complaining for YEARS about how ugly and boring our dining table has been, and now that I have some time and initiative to do something, I decided to go for it. I also have been addicted to Frontierville on FB. It's disgusting, I know. But what can I do? I figure that after this week, with all the crafty projects done, I will be able to resume back to non-stop reading.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I was a lot disappointed when I stopped by my local comic shop and they didn't have ANYTHING for me. pooooosh! Luckily, my husband picked up The Heroic Age: The New Avengers #1

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


I was really skeptical about this at first. I am not a huge fan of anyone in the cover, except for Wolverine. And I am uber selective when it comes to Wolverine comics. So, when my husband told me that I may be pleasantly surprised, I took it with a grain of salt and tried to forgo reading it. Well... Pleasant surprise, pleasant surprise. Three of my top 25 characters are in it: Dr. Strange, Daimon Hellstrom, and Victoria Hand (I know, right?) Maybe I'll go compile the rest of my list here sometime.

Short summary:
So now, Luke Cage is given free rein of creating his own Avengers team, sans Iron Man and Thor, that is, so it's still gonna be a pretty lame Avengers team. They get to live and operate in the original Avengers Mansion, the only requirement being that Victoria Hand gets to "facilitate" their work. In other parts of the world, Dr. Strange gets possessed by some evil entity that has already taken over Daimon Hellstrom and is hellbent on acquiring the eye of Agamotto in order to, of course, take over the world. There's a little magical skirmish between the possessed Hellstrom and Strange and Dr. Voodoo, but in the end, Voodoo sends the eye to the Avengers Mansion, hoping for its protection. Well, Strange and Hellstrom track the amulet and whatever is possessing them ends up possessing Luke Cage.

It's off to a dynamic start, I'll give it that. The art is great; I've always liked Stuart Immonen's crisp, clean art, and I find that it really suits the storyline. I'm just not so sure about the actual team members of the Avengers and if I like them. Granted, there may be great redefining of characters/relations told in the future, I just don't have any interest in Jessica Jones, Luke Cage (or their baby), the Thing, or Mockingbird. But that's just me whining.

7/10 macarons

No comments:

Post a Comment