Partying it up with Emma Frost

Just wanted to squeeze this tiny little post before I call it a day.

I just finished reading Heralds #1by Katherine Immonen.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I know it came out a while back, but I hesitate to pick up anything she writes now because of what she did to my second favorite comic book group ever, the Runaways. That didn't stop my husband from purchasing them anyway. So, while I was mooing away wishing I had something to do, I picked it up. Hmmm, what do I think of it? I was initially excited and glad that Emma Frost's birthday seemed to be of some relevance to the comic, you know, celebrating the most awesome character ever? Then, all the other girls started pouring in...

Ok let's begin:

Me and Monica Rambeau do not mix. Why? Firstly, she and Dr. Voodoo (who I still think is totally undeserving of the title Sorcerer Supreme) have a thing going on. Secondly, she's one of those unattractive, empowered females who don't seem to be able to balance being pretty and being bad ass. Thirdly, her powers are amazing. The third point both repulses me and redeems her as a character. And that is repulsive.

Why, oh why, in tarnation has Hellcat's hair not grown yet? The short hair on her is freakishly ugly. I mean, isn't she supposed to be one of the most fashion-forward and stylish women in the Marvel universe? she looks extremely dowdy and so girl-next-door with her ugly, blunt cut. Also, what's up with the attitude? I really liked how Immonen portrayed her sense of humor in her run Hellcat (I also loved her being in Alaska), and all of a sudden, she just lost it here.

Abigail Brand. Gah. Go back to deep space. (I really do hate space stories)

Jennifer. Susan. Walters. I guess they needed a powerhouse for this mission, so they picked She-Hulk. But the "team" would still be fine with just Valkyrie.

Now, Valkyrie I DO like, but could she be a little *just a tad bit* less mannish? I mean, I know she's an Asgardian warrior, but she isn't an Amazon. (Bee tee dubs, Best Asgardian woman award ever goes to KELDA!)

Anyway, on to the story itself. On the whole, it's pretty interesting, actually. I was delighted to see dinosaurs, aliens, and scientists all in the same page. My goodness, I was falling out of my seat when Hellcat asked Brand, "Do you guys have Oppenheimer?" I don't know much about Frankie Raye (other than she was a herald of Galactus, was Johnny Storm's love interest, led to the destruction of the Skrull world?, died) but I was curious to see what was going to happen. Other than that though, I felt that the mingling of all these women was just so... forced. Why the hell would any of these people think that throwing Emma Frost a party would be "fun?" I mean, this is Emma Fucking Frost we are talking about here. I would have a blast partying with her, but would any sane person feel the same way?

Though the dialogue needs some work, I think the story held my attention enough to get the next issue. maybe.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic 6/10 choco cakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment