a break within a break

So I just got back from my little one week holiday to Mexico, thus the lack of any posting last week. I only got my comics two days back, and I haven't been feeling up to par really on anything. It may be because I really enjoyed the balmy weather and the ocean, so now I really am not motivated to do anything else. The laziness has set... forever, it seems.

But today, I got inspired to finally get up and prepare for the chicken mole enchiladas I've been craving for since I got back. I ♥ mole, I discovered. I realize that it would be a feat to make mole from scratch with my limited cooking abilities (income and patience as well), so I ended up purchasing some to start. I am sure it won't taste as smashingly good as authentic mole, but what can I do?

Anywhoozles, since I'm feeling a little perky now, so I'm going to write a little bit. I am still finishing off my haul from last week, so I'll get to those ASAP. Since I didn't get anything this week, I'll be caught up. This time though, I wanted to talk about what I thought of Mike Madrid's The Supergirls: Fashion, Feminism, Fantasy, and the History of Comic Book Heroines.

Image and video hosting by TinyPict

I brought it with me to read at the beach and learned so much about female comic book characters and some female writers as well. I am not big on "feminist" works. It's not my thing, I think I mention that each blog entry. I picked this book up because a friend had recommended it to me, and I really was itching for comic book scholarship literature. (does that make sense?) Madrid's writing style is to the point and, overall, amusing. His interests obviously are geared towards female characters I have very very very limited knowledge about, and mostly towards DC comics. I thought that I wouldn't get past the first chapter. On the contrary, it turned out to be a quite exciting read, actually.

The chapters are separated according to era, beginning with the early 21st century to contemporary views. Madrid seems to be really interested in connecting the views on women in society and how those were translated into comic book characters, their lives, powers, and costumes. This book really got me thinking about which female characters I really liked or responded well to and made me assess why I did like them. I found myself asking, "Is there a female archetypal figure that works to please a large enough amount of comic book readers to keep them alive?" All in all, the book gives a general overview of the formation and evolution of female comic book characters throughout the decades. A lot of the examples he presents are DC characters (I'm not a big fan) but his writing and analysis kept me reading and interested in what he had to say. I only wish that he included a bibliography so that people like me could look to his references especially sales records and such. I want to know where he's getting this info!!! Also, I really wish that Madrid wrote more about female comic book writers and what they were and are able to bring to the table. Overall, i got a lot out of it, and it was fun to stop and chat about tidbits I learned while sipping my drink.
7/10 cupcakes!

Sorry, no macarons at the mo. After playing with the new blogger templates (since I am too lazy to make my own layout) my macarons had shadowy borders. (-_-) not pleasant to look at.

Well, this is it for today. I still have tons of shtuffs to cut up, and I want to get back to my Sherlock Holmes reading. I just started reading them (I am ashamed to admit) and I am addicted.

till next post, kidsies.






No comments:

Post a Comment